Friday, January 18, 2008

Isn't night shift a pain?

I'm genuinely convinced it is not natural and the body was not designed to endure it. It's simply another product of consumer driven capitalism, corporate necessities and the like. A despicable spawn of the industrial age.

A story from last night: a group of young bucks in Mum's Rav 4. Just had their fill of Maccas and are hanging out in the open spaces behind a local school - at nearly 4am. I pull up in the Div van and the Rav 4 takes a sharp diversion in the distance. Travels no more than 30 yards and stops suddenly. all 4 or 5 jump out but only two stay at the car, the rest scatter away from us. My partner is off in a flash over a nearby fence and into the night. These kids are not much more than 16. The 2 who stayed are polite and courteous.
So I ask the obvious question: why are your friends running? No real answer. "you are cops so they just ran." You weren't doing anything wrong were you? No they were just scared and took off.
My partner heads back after a few minutes empty handed. Names for the escapees are offered freely by their friends anyway. The unnecessary run and chase can often happen in this line of work. The idea of authority possibly finding something wrong when there is nothing to find creates a doubt and a fear I guess.
Funnily enough I only tend to find such a fear in those who are honest. It is easily pushed aside and covered up after a few dishonest acts.
The driver - to his detriment owns up to his driving to the Sergeant who arrived a short time later. It turns out he's only a Learner and he didn't have a fully licensed driver with him.
I'm not sending him to court for it. Why? because discretion is one of the few positive aspects we have in this job and I don't waste it. Because I see the rare honesty in a kid who had the guts not to run with the rest when fear took hold. He was owning up when the easy way out is to cut and run. I respect that. Its a quality in people, especially the young, that should be encouraged, not trampled on.

6 comments:

Hopeful Spirit said...

Have you heard about The Seventh Day weekly blog carnival at On the Horizon?

You can submit a post on ANY topic! (Keep it clean, ok?) It's a great way to reach a new audience for your site! The Carnival is also an excellent resource for discovering new sites and making new blogging friends.

The Carnival takes place every Seventh Day (Sunday) and posts may be submitted through Saturday for the next day's edition.
I invite you to submit your best work (1 post per blog per week) from the prior week on ANY topic using the submission form.

Want to help spread the word? You can put the Blog Carnival widget or The Seventh Day button on your site! (Email me for the graphic file.)

Questions? Drop me an e-mail: admin@hopefulspirit.com. Or use the Contact Form at On the Horizon!

Thanks and hope to see one of your posts included on The Seventh Day!

Hopeful Spirit
Hopeful Spirit

Anonymous said...

wow. your first comment and it's spam. sorry about that one...

it's good to know that there are some cops out there who are willing to use hearts and compassion in recognizing what is operating behind situations and not just blind adherance to the letter of the law.

Shannon said...

I always wanted to go into law enforcement, but I guess God got in my way. :)

Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

Mike said...

Josh. Way to go!! I am also a cop here in the U.S. I look forward to swapping stories with you about the differences between there and here.

Mike said...

Oh yeah, I must be a strange one then cause I love the night shift!!

Anonymous said...

I followed from Heather's blog...to say Hi, and welcome to blogdom.

Interesting observation....about the honest ones being afraid of the police....I have always struggled with it, but thought that it meant I must be a pyschopath or something and didn't know it....

I'll check back some more...